- Global Operation
- Contract Manufacturing
Letrozole is a non-steroidal aromatase inhibitor and is highly specific in inhibiting aromatase activity. It inhibits the aromatase enzyme by competitively binding to the haem group of aromatase, a cytochrome P450 enzyme which catalyzes conversion of androgens to estrogens (specifically, androstenedione to estrone and testosterone to estradiol) resulting in a significant reduction of oestrogen biosynthesis in peripheral tissues and cancer tissue. Aromatase inhibition by letrozole appears to be specific, with sparing of other cytochrome P450 enzymes of the same class involved in glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid synthesis.
• Adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor positive early breast cancer.
• Adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early breast cancer (positive or unknown oestrogen or progesterone receptor status) who have received 5 years of adjuvant tamoxifen therapy (extended adjuvant therapy).
• First-line treatment in postmenopausal women with hormone-dependent advanced breast cancer.
• Treatment of advanced breast cancer in women with natural or artificially induced postmenopausal status, who have previously been treated with antioestrogens.
• Pre-operative therapy in postmenopausal women with localized hormone receptor positive breast cancer, to allow subsequent breast-conserving surgery in women not originally considered candidates for this type of surgery. Subsequent treatment after surgery should be in accordance with standard of care.
Arofrez® tablet 2.5mg: Each box contains 1x10’s and 3x10’s tablets in Alu-Alu blister.